The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones. – John Maynard Keynes
Have you ever felt that you have run out of ideas and you can no longer add to your creative to-do list? Are you constantly under pressure to come up with ingenious and original ideas? You are not alone, most creative individuals suffer this artistic block some time or the other. Listed below are a few ways you could shake off the block and broaden your horizons in the creative world.
Having a creative block doesn’t mean that you are no more a creative person. It simply means you need to get out of your routine and look for inspiration.
1) Write! Write! Write it down! – Get a new notepad with some quirky title and small enough to carry around everywhere. Ideas may strike anytime. You could be talking to the security guard in your parking or standing in a grocery store queue and.
2) Spruce up your surroundings – Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr are your go to sites for inspiration to reorganize your workspace. You don’t have to re-model or re-furnish your apartment, just change the photos from the frames, create new graphic posters, add some lights, and use some bright décor.
3) Take a walk – A time to time day off outdoors not only refreshes you but also invigorates a new enthusiasm for creative breakthroughs. Just take step out in a garden or some quiet by-lanes and walk around. And when you are outside try to not think and just be. A change of scenery frees your mind of regular routines you are set into. Taking a break will free your mind and will challenge it to open yourself to new possibilities.
4) Eat ice cream – Yes! Eat ice cream. It is known to stimulate creative thinking. Just think about it, when you are eating ice cream you are not thinking about the looming deadline of your project or that you have to pick up your laundry. All that you think about is enjoying your ice cream. The therapeutic effect of eating ice cream and the energy it provides, you are bound to fill up your creative to-do list.
5) Surf fellow artists work /community – Look beyond your own field of work, be it painting, photography, sculpting, or craft. Explore other creative spheres. You never know where inspiration comes from. When you study or explore other arts and cultures you could come up with interesting mixed-context ideas.
6) Visit art places and make art friends – Go to an art gallery in your neighborhood and look at the work of artists. Look at the colors, try to understand the stories. Talk to people who are driven by their passions. Join local art groups and meet up for discussions. A communal experience will stimulate creativity.
Breaking off the ordinary inspires creativity. Don’t worry if you are stuck, creativity is a process much like it is art. There is a time for creating and rejuvenating and then going back and creating some more. Find your remedies to curing your creative block. Stay inspired.